Friday, August 28, 2026

Supreme Court Video Reflection

Inside the courtroom of the United States Supreme Court
One of the biggest takeaways from this video for me was realizing just how much power the Supreme Court holds in the American system of government. The Court is responsible for interpreting a Constitution that is more than 200 years old, while also safeguarding liberty, preserving the Union, and upholding the rule of law.

Before watching this documentary, I knew the Supreme Court was important, but I did not fully understand the extent of its influence. The nine justices have the authority to tell the President, Congress, and the states what they may or may not do, and they cannot avoid controversy when making those decisions.

One of the biggest takeaways from this video for me was realizing just how much power the Supreme Court holds in the American system of government. The Court is responsible for interpreting a Constitution that is more than 200 years old, while also safeguarding liberty, preserving the Union, and upholding the rule of law.

Before watching this documentary, I knew the Supreme Court was important, but I did not fully understand the extent of its influence. The nine justices have the authority to tell the President, Congress, and the states what they may or may not do, and they cannot avoid controversy when making those decisions.

One fact that surprised me was that in all of American history there have been just over one hundred Supreme Court justices, with an average service time of about sixteen years. Some have served for much longer, which highlights how lasting their impact can be.

U.S. Supreme Court, Washington D.C.
I also learned more about the Court's history. When the federal government moved to Washington in 1801, the Supreme Court was given temporary quarters in the unfinished Capitol building. The documentary also emphasized the role of Chief Justice John Marshall and the Court's power to strike down acts of Congress as unconstitutional.

The discussion of the Dred Scott case was especially memorable. The video described it as the Court's greatest self-inflicted wound because the ruling declared that Congress could not ban slavery and that Black people could never be citizens. It was striking to learn how later constitutional amendments abolished slavery, defined citizenship, and granted voting rights, with many people viewing the Fourteenth Amendment as a second Bill of Rights.

The documentary also gave me a better understanding of how the Court operates day to day. The justices review petitions for certiorari, accept only a small number of cases each year, and meet regularly to decide which cases deserve review. Every petition receives individual consideration.

What I found most interesting was the process of writing opinions. Justices exchange revisions, debate legal reasoning, and sometimes spend months refining their decisions before the public ever sees them.

The video changed the way I think about the Supreme Court. Rather than seeing it as a distant institution, I now see it as a group of people who often disagree but share a commitment to the law and respect for one another's opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment